Special Olympics Manchester
Special Olympics Manchester is a nonprofit program that provides sports training and athletic competition for children and youth with intellectual disabilities in the North Manchester Community Schools, reaching over 50 athletes in the northern Indiana community. Special Olympics is part of a network of programs that reaches 12,000 athletes with intellectual disabilities in Indiana and more than one million participants worldwide.
At Manchester University, Special Olympics is a service-learning experience for future teachers studying in the adapted physical education program in the Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences. The program is nationally recognized and deals with all aspects regarding physical activity and sport for individuals of all ages and abilities.
The Special Olympics Athlete Oath reads:
Let me win, but if I cannot win,
Let me be brave in the attempt.
The mission of Special Olympics Manchester is to provide sports training and athletic competition in a variety of sports for children and youth with intellectual disabilities, offering them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the North Manchester, Ind., community.
Special Olympics Manchester's vision is to empower people with intellectual disabilities to realize their full potential and develop their skills through sports training and competition. As a result, Special Olympics athletes become fulfilled and productive members of their families and the North Manchester community. Special Olympics is an experience that is energizing, healthy, skillful, welcoming, and joyful.
The goal of Special Olympics Manchester is for all children and youth with intellectual disabilities to have the chance to become useful and productive citizens who are accepted and respected in the North Manchester community.
The following six values guide all decisions and actions taken by Special Olympics Manchester.
- Community. We attempt to connect our athletes with the North Manchester community as much as possible. We use community facilities; we generate local publicity, and we portray the athletes and their families as local heroes. Connections and bridges are formed.
- Friendships. We encourage friendships among athletes and families throughout the Special Olympics program. We also encourage friendships with athletes without disabilities through their commonality of sport. The goal is friendships for life.
- Integrity. Athletes develop integrity by doing the right thing.
- Opportunity. All Special Olympics athletes are given the opportunity to excel.
- Quality. We strive for quality in all we do.
- Sportsmanship. We follow the rules of the game by demonstrating good sportsmanship and fairness for all.
For more information about Special Olympics Manchester, please contact Kim Duchane at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 260-982-5382.